McKnight Pediatrics


Toy Safety for Young Children

At this age, many children continue to put things in their mouths. Some of their toys may have small buttons or magnets (blog link). Disc or button batteries remain a common item ingested by children. They can cause severe injury to the GI tract with multiple complications. If you have reason to suspect your child has ingested one of these batteries, even if you're not certain, you should immediately take them to the nearest emergency room (not urgent care) for evaluation and treatment.